The 11 Books of Jane Jacobs All in One Jane's Walk
HïMY SYeD. Toronto City of Labyrinths Project.
5:45 PM - 8:00 PM
May 5, 2023
Arts and Culture
Jane Jacobs published at least 11 books during her life, and wrote so much more...
• Constitutional chaff; rejected suggestions of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, with explanatory argument Compiled by Jane Butzner, (1941)
• The Death and Life of Great American Cities (1961)
• The Economy of Cities (1969)
• The Question of Separatism: Quebec and the Struggle over Sovereignty (Massey Lecture, 1980)
• Cities and the Wealth of Nations (1984)
• The Girl on the Hat (Children's Book Illustrated by Karen Reczuch) (1990)
• Systems of Survival: A Dialogue on the Moral Foundations of Commerce and Politics (1992)
• A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of Hannah Breece (1995)
• The Nature of Economies (2000)
• Toronto: Considering Self-government (2000)
• Dark Age Ahead (2004)
During the Centenary "Jane 100" Jane's Walk year, HiMY SYeD decided to lead one Jane's Walk for each of Jane Jacobs' 11 Books.
The main ideas in each of those books was illustrated and understood from walk stop to walk stop using neighbourhood icons, landmarks, examples, architecture and things hiding in plain sight.
This year, instead of 11 Different Jane's Walk for 11 Different Books, there will be 11 unique walk stop locations plus several smaller walk pauses starting in Parkdale, passing by Ontario Place, until we wind up this Jane's Walk inside Victoria Memorial Square Park.
This will be 1 Jane's Walk covering only the most vital and timely ideas from each of Jane Jacobs' books. If you've never read any of Jane's books, or missed a few, or want a crash course or refresher in the ideas and writings of Jane Jacobs'...
Or are simply curious why Labyrinths and Mazes were so important to Jane's thinking on Cities and Neighbourhoods, then this is the Jane's Walk for you!
Uneven terrain, Stairs or other barriers, Wind gusts from Lake Ontario
Walk Start Location:
Masaryk Park, 212 Cowan Avenue, South of Queen Street West, Parkdale, West End Toronto.
Holding Orange Jane's Walk Sign standing in middle of the Parkdale Labyrinth inside Masaryk Park.
Walk End Location:
Victoria Memorial Square Park, Niagara Street at Portland Street, East of Bathurst, South of Queen.